Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) was created by the BRE as a cost-effective means of bringing sustainable value to development. It helps investors, developers, design and construction teams and occupiers to use natural resources more efficiently.
Specific products can be BREEAM assessed or building specifications/actual buildings can be BREEAM rated. A BREEAM rating is based on a 60 year life of the building. Products that are deemed by the manufacturer to last less than 60 years have multiple points calculated based on their estimated product life. Generic ratings for products can be viewed on the Green Guide website www.bre.co.uk/greenguide where products are rated generically across 13 weighted environmental issues. There is no category within BRE to cover wall tiles.
It addresses a number of lifecycle stages such as New Construction, Refurbishment and In-Use UK in origin.
Green Guide for Products A to D rated
The recycle logo is an identification to indicate our tile ranges that contain recycled content either from the production process or by utilising waste from other local producers. The recycle logo indicates products which incorporate a percentage of recycled or re-processed ceramic waste. This percentage can change from batch to batch, but the minimum recycled content is noted on the relevant range pages.
Ska Rating is a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) environmental assessment method, benchmark and standard for non-domestic fit outs. It helps landlords and tenants assess fit out projects against a set of sustainability good practice criteria, known as Good Practice Measures (GPM).
UK in origin
Criteria / numbers based / Bronze, Silver, Gold.
- Are reused;
- If new, are manufactured with at least 25% recycled and 100% recyclable content;
- Have been awarded the EU Ecolabel;
- Have an A or A+ rating in BRE’s The Green Guide to Specificationfor the retail scheme;
- Have an A or A+ rating in BRE’s Green Book Livedatabase for the retail scheme;
- If new, have a Cradle to CradleCM Silver or higher certificate.
- Are reused;
- If a new wall tile (ceramic, glass, clay, stone, porcelain), are manufactured with at least 50% recycled content and recyclable content, measured by mass;
- If new, have a Cradle to CradleCM Silver certification or above;
- If new, have an EU Ecolabel; or are supplied with an environmental product declaration, written in accordance with ISO 14025 standards.
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is a rating system devised by the United States Green Building Council (USGBC) to evaluate the environmental performance of a building and encourage market transformation towards sustainable design;
- Points based system;
- Global – US investment / organisations.
- Ceramic / Porcelain and Glass;
- Max 8 credits;
- Sustainable Sites (Solar reflectance index greater than 29);
- Materials and Resources (recycled content 20/40%);
- Energy and Atmosphere (low thermal conductivity);
- Innovation and design;
- (Ecolabel & best available techniques thin material);
- VOC content (less than 1mg / KG).